ABB is a global player in power and automation business worldwide, with 42 MUSD of revenues in 2013 and more than 145.000 employees. ABB’s vision is “As one of the world’s leading engineering companies, we help our customers to use electrical power efficiently, to increase industrial productivity and to lower environmental impact in a sustainable way” and matches perfectly the tasks of the ZERO-PLUS project.
Near Zero Energy buildings are achieved with different measures. ABB can contribute by providing technologies for different aspects:
• Medium voltage switchgear to collect energy produced by the biomass plants, handle the interconnection with local utilities and to cater for all loads. Advanced selectivity technology will ensure maximum network performance using the latest standard communication protocol IEC 61850.
• Low voltage switchgear to connect the loads and energy sources to the MV network. Innovative products just been launched on the market will deploy their functionalities in such an energy aware context. The award winning Ekip intelligent unit installed on our Emax 2 air breaker will be able to perform peak shaving functions and well as power management.
• Highly efficient Medium voltage/low voltage transformers will make sure the network will not waste the energy produced within the neighbourhood. ABB transformers with amorphous material drastically reduce the no load losses of already high efficient dry type transformers
• ABB innovative products live the REACT integrates inverter function with the energy storage function, offering a unique energy efficient technical solution to the demand/response approach of every load
• ABB i-illumination system enables a highly efficient remote control and optimization of external lighting.